There is good reason to take a break from writing the heavier stuff I have been unable to avoid during this crisis. Instead, on a Saturday, I am writing down what I would want were I stranded on a desert island for an indefinite period.
These albums are in no particular order. Very hard to pare down to ten.
- Songs in the Key of Life by Stevie Wonder
- Back in Black by AC/DC
- Rocks by Aerosmith
- Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest
- It’s Not Big, It’s Large by Lyle Lovett
- Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen
- Southern Harmony and Musical Companion by The Black Crows
- Exile on Main Street by The Rolling Stones
- Hotel California by Eagles
- Gretchen Goes to Nebraska by Kings X
Not a particular order, but I would want large, important books.
- Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
- Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
- Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
- Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens
- Arguably by Christopher Hitchens
- The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- Antifragile: Things That Gain from Disorder by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
- The Complete Essays of Montaigne by by Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
- Patton: A Genius for War by Carlos D’Este
- The War of the Rose by Umberto Eco
I watch an hour of television of week, and lately, even less than that. But, assuming my desert island had a television, I could live with nine.
- The Sopranos (Seasons One, Two, Three, Four, Five, and Six)
- Deadwood (Seasons One, Two, and Three)
These are in order of importance.
- The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)
- The Godfather, Part One (Francis Ford Coppola)
- The Godfather, Part Two (Francis Ford Coppola)
- Goodfellas (Martin Scorsese)
- Casino (Martin Scorsese)
- The Blues Brothers (For the comedy of Belushi and Ackroyd, and the music)
- Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino)
- Papillon (The 1973 Original with Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman)
- Willie Wonka (for Gene Wilder’s performance alone)
- The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (Peter Jackson)
What would more important to me than all of these things would be unlimited paper and something with which to write.