Your dream client is finally struggling to produce the results they need. They’re now unhappy enough to consider looking at another provider who might replace you competitor, the company that has owned the relationship with them for a decade. A few of the main contacts inside this company sit down to discuss who they should invite in for a conversation.
Why would your dream client think about you at this exact moment.
- Would you have communicated with the contacts inside this company so frequently, and so consistently, that your name would be the first name that comes to mind?
- Would you have nurtured these relationships for so long that everyone inside this company would know you for the constant delivery of valuable ideas and insights?
- Would your dream client know what your views are, what your values are, and know how you are likely to think about their challenges? Would they know you have a strong opinion here?
- Would the last communication have been so recently that you are top of mind, your last call having been less than two weeks earlier?
- Would your dream client know what you look like? Could they pick you out of a line up with only your name and your company name to go by?
- Would your dream client have your business card, a trail of emails, an email with your name and phone number in the subject line, or something else they could refer to contact you?
You need to be known before your dream client has a reason to know you. More still, you need to be known for the value you create. Your company’s views and values on important issues should be one of the reasons your dream clients feel confident in calling you, knowing that what you believe is going to help them produce better results.
If your dream client has never met you, has no record of communication with you, and has no idea how to get ahold of you, you aren’t going to be the first name they call.
In fact, you should tell your dream client that you want to be the first person they call whenever they need anything. Then you should act accordingly.